From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 1996 13:46:49 -0400
  REGARDING           RE>Lack of Honeybees in Western Washington

Roy Nettlebeck writes:
"I have been feeling bad seeing so many old time hobby
beekeepers going down. I'm 54 and I have never seen a spring with so few
bees on flowers all around.My trees can be heard 100 feet away and down
the road 6 miles nothing. This may be a big experiment in nature."

Roy, I feel the same way.  We haven't had fruit bloom yet in southeastern
Michigan, but I have noticed the lack of bees in the maples, dandelions and
garden flowers.  I have bees permanently placed in one orchard, and plan to
carefully observe that one and compare it to others without pollinating bees
brought in.  I have had to talk reluctant friends into trying beekeeping again
after losing everything to the mites.  Another acquaintance is hesitant to get
into the hobby now.  It is possible that we may soon see a general
agricultural collapse, for we all (farmers, horticulturists, etc.) have been
taking honeybees for granted.  Truly these are challenging times!

Ted Fischer