From:
Pollinator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 08:45:51 EST
In a message dated 98-01-06 08:09:11 EST, Michael Palmer wrote:

 >     Here in Vermont, we seem to have a new honey. Actually I've made
 > some on both sides of lake Champlain. Let me start again. Here in the
  > Champlain Valley we seem to have a new honey. Dark in color, and strong
  > in taste. Reports of this "honey" have increasing in the last 2 or 3
  > years. The biggest change in agriculture here has been the increase of
  > corn acreage in the last 2 or 3 years. Hmmm... From corn??

   Still real skeptical about the "corn."  Another possibility comes to mind.

   An invasive weed, japanese bamboo is common in Pennsylvania and central New
York, along the river flood plains, and I wonder if it has reached your area.
It is not a bamboo really, though the stem is jointed.  It looks like a giant
wild buckwheat, which is actually is. It blooms in August, and makes a dark,
mellow, delicious honey, sort of a mild buckwheat.

   Does it have a greenish tint when extracted?  Lousy taste? Purple
loosestrife?

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm