From:
"Lackey, Raymond" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 15:31:03 -0500
I have had a call where "thousands" of ground nesting bees have spread
throughout the neighborhood, evidently over the years, from the backyard of
an elderly person who doesn't keep their yard to community standards.  These
bees are active now and have little tunnels with mounds of dirt next to
them. It sounds like quite a natural bee bed. The home is being sold and
neighbors have asked the new prospective owner what he is going to do about
the "bee problem".  They are extremely populous and active by the sidewalk.
An exterminator has told him that he will contract to eliminate them for
this year but they will be back next year.

I went out and viewed the area and collected some bees.  There is a half
acre lot with minimal grass covering with good sun at this time but will be
shaded by Oaks later.  Most of the lot is covered with about eight
hills/burrows per square foot and they extend into neighboring yards where
grass is minimal along shrubs and by trees. The lot is sandy, poor grass,
and sporadic moss covered.

The female bee is just a little smaller that a honeybee, black, narrow
yellow/brown stripes on the abdomen, hairy thorax and face with light brown
fuzz. Female antennae are noticeably jointed.  Male is smaller, about half
female's size, similar to female but antennae appear arched instead of
jointed.

The females were active on neighborhood shrubs of Forsythia and Andromida.
Males were attempting to mount the females on the wing over the burrows, on
flowers, and at the burrows.  Females appear to carry the pollen on their
hind legs similar to honeybees but in smaller, stretched out baskets.

I dug up one burrow but I either lost it a couple inches down or it ended
there.  I found one yellow/white larva in the soil about the size of a eight
day honeybee larva but more skinny, having a tougher skin, about five inches
down.

I would expect that these are Andrena since Halictus mate in fall and only
queens emerge in spring.  I am not familiar with Colletes.

I spoke to the purchaser and explained what they were, their function, and
why they had selected his potential yard.  I told him that if this was the
only reason for hesitating on the home purchase, go ahead and buy it.  I
explained that the exterminator would only be killing those currently flying
and that they would return next year.  I also showed how docile they were by
sitting in the middle of the bed and standing near the bushes that they were
working.  I recommended that he not exterminate them but just start taking
care of the yard by liming, seeding, and watering.  Years of neglect have
provided an excellent nesting area.  This will reduce the benefits of the
nesting site and they will be forced back into better local sites and the
yard fringe areas so that they will not be so noticeable or intimidating by
location or sheer numbers.  He was inclined to accept my recommendation and
will present it to his wife.

I wish I could show this to East-end growers/orchardists.  They tell me
there are no pollinators around but this shows that if an area is left
fallow and without insecticides that the pollinators can flourish.  Of
course, they don't want to leave any land fallow.  There are beekeepers
within a couple miles in several directions and these native pollinators are
doing fine.  Unfortunately titans collide and "man" is preparing to invade
its territory.

Additional insight on identification clues always appreciated.

Raymond J. Lackey                           Sweet Pines Apiary
President (again) -   Long Island Beekeepers Association
web page: http://www.tianca.com/tianca2.html
email home: [log in to unmask]