Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 20:37:11 +0000
Steve Pearce wrote:

> Nick wrote:-
>
> That is, bees don't *have* to be exposed to mites, for instance, for
> them to have developed some of the defence strategies that would make
> them capable of dealing with mites.  'Resistance' may in fact be the
> presence of more generalised grooming, housekeeping, sanitary or
> whatever characteristics - which may well be present or bred for
> without the colony ever being exposed to the pest/disease.
>
> This may be a very long shot, but here goes, I think we need lateral thinking (apologies)
>
> Now, has anybody tried to dump a particle which of a similar size and shape to a Varroa on the
> bees, would this entice them to clean off all the particles, including the mites in the process,
> maybe it could be slightly sticky. Presumably bees groom eachother, especially when the
> contamination is severe, such as wen flour is shaken on the bees etc.
>
> If an "artificial mite" was produced which was inert, or made of food grade plastic then there
> would be no chemical problems with food production etc.
>
> Have I been staring into this screen too long ?
>
> Steve Pearce

Steve

The problem with this idea is that the mites, I believe, spend most of
their time eating the lavae and not much time out on the bees.  I has
been reported that bees (of the Scottish variety that have never seen a
mite before) will attack when they see them ie when exposed to daylight
just as they do with flies, midges etc.  However they probably do not do
this in the hive (too dark).  I thought of testing this in an
observation hive using braula mites (problem is that I don't think I
have any braula at present) I also thought about introducing a few sheep
ticks to the hive to see it I could stimulate some sort of immune
response however it might be better to leave the ticks alone!  Hair
lice  might be ok.  Something that would irritate the bees in the dark.
I have * definately * been looking too long or perhaps I should stop the
whiskey!

Harry