From:
Gene Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2018 07:32:54 -0400
a Richard Cryberg
I also do not know about of a single example of the Bond method being successfully used to solve any disease or parasite problem in any domestic species with only one exception that is really not an exception.  That exception is US honey bees rapidly became resistant to tracheal mites after these mites were introduced into the US.  This rapid evolution was likely because honey bees and tracheal mites have co-existed together for a long time, probably a million years or more.  During that long time there were ample opportunities for bees to mutate and over come that mite and those genetics already existed in a dilute state in US bees.

my comment...
it is interesting that folks read and process information based on their world view or bias and likewise reject any information that does not conform to this world view (note the exclusion of an excellent example followed by a list of maybe, possible, could be). First I would suggest as promoted the Bond method is quite young < thereby any example is almost by definition a false analogy.  There is really nothing special about the bond method except it requires a hands off and 'you are not in control' attitude. It is really nothing more than natural selection whereby the weak are culled from the population. Certainly this strategy is contrary to many folks style and way of thinking but you need not be long in the tooth to see where in the past this has worked and if you are honest with yourself where it has not. Species adapt to changing condition and species also go extinct.

My bias suggest honeybees are much more robust than some folks want to think. Initially AFB and the Minnesota hygienic program falls into this realm of resolutions as does tracheal mites and both the nosema twins.  Man want to think he promotes the well being of honeybees by inserting this or that chemical into a hive but this imho only lengthens the suffering.  And as we are seeing now some 'remedies' only makes things worse just down the road.

Of course at the practical level most folks that depend on bees for their income do not have the time and financial deep pockets this strategy requires to get to a equilibrium spot in terms of host parasite relationship. Practically few folks have the large numbers of bees to let die to get to a point of upward trending results and as far as I can tell most folks think everything they do provides positive results in terms of the health of their bees. Overcoming this ego (I am in control) driven attitude may be the most difficult problem to overcome if you employ the bond strategy.

For the nonbeliever I would suggest you come to Texas and over the 7 biological regions here see where the explosion in the number of nontreatment bees is expanding < not repeatable huh?.  Or talk to folks who travel to places where inputs are restrictive or not available and the success of the bond method looks clear (I think the last example I heard of this was by Les Crowder in his travels to Jamica and the Rastafarian population on that island who do keep a few bees).

Now if we could just keep those migratory 'yankee' beekeepers from polluting out home grown stock with their weak and inferior stock we could really make some progress.

Gene in central Texas....