From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2013 08:30:24 -0700
> However, it is my understanding that Nosema infects cells by another
mechanism than through phagocytosis, (see Randy's article at
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/the-nosema-twins-part-1/) so I'm unclear.

As am I.  The spores do not appear to be ingested by the epithelial cells
via phagocytosis.  However, Bailey published an observation that bee
hemocytes in vitro would ingest spores that way and then eventually rupture.

The mechanism for injection of the polar body, last I investigated, was
still unclear.  It is hard to imagine that the amazingly long polar body
could impale its way through the epithelial cell wall.  More likely that a
protein binding and enzyme are involved.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA