From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 May 2005 20:03:10 -0500
> and I was perplexed I might say!

I would say she or another person has looked at the reel and see the reel is
cast iron which is very common.

>The statement by this lady that she couldn't even lift it up a little bit
because of it's weight was for me the proof that we realy were talking about
cast iron here,

Older models of extractors were very heavy. I do think I remember seeing an
all cast two frame model about 40 or so years ago at a beekeeping sale.
Remember butter churns, apple presses and beeswax presses were many times
mostly cast years ago.

>I wasn't aware that any such thing as a cast iron extractor ever existed!

  I have got a friend which could say for sure. His name is Wyatt Mangum. he
collects old bee equipment. I will send his email address to you if you need
to contact Wyatt. Rather not publish on the internet.

> Apparently it was handpainted on the inside of the drum, to add to the
surprises!

Not unusual if galvanized and the finnish is gone or to hide a rust place.

>Mind you, I
wouldn't like to use the honey that comes from this  achine.....surely, the
porous cast iron must have sucked up and developed all kinds of goodies that
we would normally like to keep a long way away from our honey and flakes of
paint in honey do not seem so healthy either!

You just described the extractors currently in use in many third world
countries!

The truth is if a solution of clorox water is used to sterilize the machine
before extracting and the paint is not flaking into the honey I doubt
serious health concerns would be a problem. Even with THE BEST stainless
steel equipment it is essential an extractor which has not been in use for
awhile be washed down with clorox water.

Cast reels are still common in extractors and legal in the U.S.. Many health
departments still allow galvanized drums as long as they have got a good
coat of food approved epoxy paint.

I have heard a few  health departments in other states frown on use of epoxy
coated galvanized or steel. Good thing they do not make the worlds
beekeepers store their bulk honey in stainless steel 55 gallon barrels.

All fifty five gal. drums are metal with a coating.

I have not heard of middle east beekeepers shipping into the U.S. in
recycled oil drums lately but used to be a huge problem for packers.
In fact I have seen empty mixed in with other coated honey drums a few
deacdes ago behind larger packers places of business.

To sum things up Ron antique bee equipment is not sought after(at this time)
like other antiques   but if you  have found an interesting relic perhaps
ebay might be the place to sell.

I thought my partner was crazy when he decided to sell his old two ton bee
truck (propolis and all) on ebay. He told truthfully about the problems
(such as a oil leaking transmission). I quit laughing after he sold the
truck for a higher price than he paid ten years ago and got ninety cents a
mile to deliver the  truck sight unseen to a buyer in Arkansas!

I was fond of the old truck as I  drove many miles moving bees and
equipment. . It is nice now with the newer replacement truck to not have to
drive around weigh stations & DOT inspections like we have done many times
over the last ten years on out of state trips.

Bob