From:
stephen rice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2015 00:38:32 -0400
Like Randy, I've encountered some hot hives from a time which I would think had no chance of being Africanized. that is, early 90's in southern ontario. We'd had a ban on imports from the U.S. since I think 1987.  We regularly had hives that I wouldn't want to approach unless suited up. I recall my teacher approaching a stack of supers, and seeing them quiet, banged on the side. Bees erupted out and went for us. I was suited, he wasn't even wearing a veil ( a favourite expression of his "A veil will not avail"). He walked off across the field, pulling bees from his hair. I worked on the hive, and after a while noticed he was several hundred feet away, still swatting. Eventually he put on the veil and came back.
   We still see this sort of thing, though usually not quite so persistently following. After varroa hit and we lost all but one hive (of 50), I made note of the fact that that one was a daughter of the really hot one. Much of our current stock comes from this.
   I recall reading somewhere that cross-breeding Italian with German bees produced "mean little *uckers".

On another matter, Christina raises the question whether the Utah bees could be Africanized since the weather in that area can be very cold.
I hope that's the case, but I also recall Jerry writing of some bees in Montana (who would meet him at the field gate a quarter mile away, ready to sting) living through the winters there. If I recall, he said he suspected those bees were Africanized.