From:
T'N'T Apiaries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 11:28:23 -0700
Gary wrote:
   <Could someone please direct me to a source for the proper dimensions
for building a "nuke". I thought I would try building a few during this
winter.>

Most of us appreciate "brevity"on this list, but I can't count the times I
have read a post like this. Sorry Gary, but you and others need to fill in a
few blanks if you want some solid information back. Without a few details,
its like telling the List you want help to buy a "Car". Period.  We have no
idea wheither you need, can afford, etc., a Volkswagon Beetle or a Cadillac.
Unfortunately someone will leap to a lot of conclusions and tell you.  There
are times that I know the responding post isn't the best idea for this
region of the world or a certain style of beekeeping, but because I had such
limited information from first post I won't take the time to comment.
Others tell me their the same.

In your case Gary, maybe you don't realize there is no single "nuke" style
perse. The term is used to discribe any manner of units, which are used for
Queen rearing, overwintering, restocking, transportation, etc.  Our
operation for example has three, four, five and six standard frame Nucs.  We
also have double fours and two sizes of Baby Nucs.  ( I don't recommend
having all or even most of these, but since we do, they each have their
place and time for use.)  I can think of at least a dozen other types as
well.

What do you plan to use them for (single or multipurpose) and in what
climate do you operate in?

It is great you are attempting to keep your equipment standardized and for
trying to get this job out of the way before the season starts.

David Tharle
Northern Alberta, Canada