From:
Blane White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 08:41:35 -0500
Hi Dave and Everyone,

Dave wrote in part about the tendency of his bees to attack his watch:

"With hindsight and not originally paying that much attention, I guess
around
the edges of the watch, but not the glass itself. A greater density of
activity on the strap than the watch, but I would not guess any
numbers."

Yes my bees also sting round my wristwatch so I usually remove it before
or after they remind me.  I always figured that it was the contrast
between the watchband and my skin that they were homing in on.  The same
would also explain their tendency to go for the eyes - there is usually
a strong visual contrast between the eyes and the surrounding area
either skin in the case of humans or fur in the case of animals.
Experiments have shown that bees and other insects as well see such
contrasting areas very well and tend to key on them.  If it is the
contrast, any band with or without a watch should get a similar
response.  And yes bees and other insects also respond very strongly to
smell so that could also be part of the picture.  My bees tend to sting
me right next to the watchband.  It is a sweaty, black nylon band so
there is sharp visual contrast as well as strong scent but removal of
the watch even after being stung usually results in no further stinging
in the area.
Interesting that eye glasses ( yes I use them ) also present a sharp
visual change for the bees to home in on.

FWIW

blane

Blane White
MN Dept of Agriculture