From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2012 18:19:34 +1000
Mike in LA asked:-

" Reportedly, Ozzies have been known to pull hives off good flows which lack
good pollen due to the cost in terms of bee life and vigor.

QUERY: Would the decline of the hives on this flow bee alleviated with the
addition of pollen patties comprised of pollen collected at other sites that
have provided nutritious pollen sources in the past? i.e. With the addition
of pollen patties hives could remain on the honey flow with the addition of
pollen patties?"

Mike, I have seen hives shifted onto Caleys ironbark and cannibalise all
their brood within a week.  They were feed patties then they kept about 3
frames of brood.  The patties had some pollen in them but mainly soya flour.
They collected a lot of honey and maintained a reason number of bees.

I have also seen bees maintain brood when feed defatted soya flour.  This is
usually feed externally.  They don't necessarily need pollen.  We have many
pollen deficient flows and a lot of them occur in autumn (you call it fall)
so the bees can go into winter in poor numbers.  I have seen cases where the
bees collect a box or two of honey and their numbers at the end are so
depleted, they die during the winter.  Also in spring some of these bees
will succumb to nosema.  We call it suicide honey.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA

database 7540 (20121002) __________

http://www.eset.com