From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2012 21:43:42 +0000
Randy said: The definitive characteristic during brood rearing season is the sudden
depopulation of the hive, leaving behind plenty of brood.  This is the
unusual sign.

Reading this study, it shows that bees were killed due to feeding HFS laced with neonics. I am not sure the term used to describe the case "CCD" is proper. Symptoms described don't fit what VanEngeldorp and Pettis used to describe their findings in 2006/2007.

Check what Randy said above!

I might be wrong and missed something reading the article!
Would irradiatIon cure the combs and can be used to establish new colonies as Van Engeldorp reported in early days of CCD?

One more thing to add, in Alberta we grow millions of acres of Neonics seed treated canola. Over 85 % of our honey is canola. Bees are doing good and produce brood throughout the season on canola. The thing that we learned through this decline of colony health is keep your pests under control, employ your effective treatments at the proper time to avoid any impacts on bees and hope for nice weather. It will be interesting to see what the future holds as some of currently used varroa treatments are becoming scarce or hard to find.

Medhat
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada