From:
Derek Steed <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Derek Steed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 00:36:08 +0200
Sorry I didnīt answer earlier Mark - here is my comment: I have the problem
of not being able to provide names of suitable products in the USA, I only
know the German & Scandinavian markets.Basically I would always recommend a
solvent-based hive coating against a latex product because of the better
penetration into softwood. Any paint man knows that the performance of a
coating is fundamentally dependant upon the adhesion of the coating to the
substrate.Whats the good of a perfect coating which has poor adhesion,
especially wet adhesion? Here they use semi-transparent long-oil alkyd based
coatings of low viscosity and lower solids content than common oil paints.
The pigments are ultrafine, often synthetic iron oxides and penetrate with
the binder into the pores and joints giving the wood a high degree of water
resistance.The insides are not painted. I use 2 to 3 coats without sanding
on planed wood.The dried coating has a very faint sheen.Water-based coatings
raise the surface fibres giving rise to " wicks " unless you sand between
coats. Latex paints give flexible films but some can also " block " or stick
when they touch - a real pain on the interfaces of hive bodies.How long do
you expect the coating to last? Isnīt it more important to avoid repainting
woodwork because the coating has blistered or chipped? Problems like
chalking are really irrelevant to hive painting, wet adhesion is more
important.Repainting should also not involve stripping off failed coatings,
the old film should still adhere well. I donīt like using solvent either,
even aromatics-free mineral spirit but I think itīs worth it.Eventually I
suspect that all solvent-based paints will disappear largely for reasons of
convenience - a great pity. As I wrote earlier, I use Bondex a Scandinavian
product ( I have no commercial interest ) in green, blue yellow and a light
brown. People here donīt paint hives white, they stand out in the landscape
and can get vandalised or stolen.
Latex paints are used here on polystyrene hives where they probably work
quite well ( apart from possible blocking ).Sorry if this doesnīt fit the
current vogue for wood treatment but you wanted my comment.
Regards Derek Steed