Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 06:03:23 -0500
On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Barbara Belyea wrote:

> If I have read the rules of this list correctly, it should be an
> "informed discussion of beekeeping issues," not uninformed comments on
> the state of science or other hopelessly general subjects. I would at
> least like to see a clear maintained connection between beekeeping and
> any subjects proposed.
> --

The state of science is critical to many of the issues found on this list.
It provides the context of every posting that deals with the subject of
beekeeping from a scientific perspective.

Today the beekeeper is very much at the mercy of those who claim the title
of scientist. In many countries only the scientist is permitted the right
to say how we may care for our bees. It would be tragic for us to allow
them to become the "Wizards of the relm" without questioning their methods
or limitations. Mistakes made due to poor science have resulted in too
many deaths to allow us to relax our watch on this area.

I would also like to remind all who are concerned about the rules of this
list, and logic and science in general that there is a thing call "ad
hominem" arguments or attacks.