From:
Michael Reddell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 23:27:08 -0700
42 is a pretty big number isn't it! Yes it's all from this year.  Last year I only got 12.

I live in Gilroy CA. I'm on the Santa Clara Valley Beekeeper's Association swarm list and the Carrier Bee Supply swarm list.  They are both in San Jose, and I'm the only representative of both lists in my area, which is 20 miles south of San Jose.  Also, my partner and I get all the local 911 referals, and all the referals from the public works department in Gilroy.  It's practically a monopoly I guess, but they can't find anyone else who is interested.  Our swarm season runs from late January to July.  The 911 and city contacts are new this year accounting for much of the increase from last year.  Last year we traveled further for fewer swarms.  Also, there seem to be more swarms this year.  This area was hit hard by varroa for about the first 3 years it was here, but seems to be rebounding.

I'm a hobbyist running a 4-H project with 9 kids and half a dozen parents who are new beekeepers.  We share the 4-H yard with a commercial guy who uses the location for mating nucs and as a holding yard.  He had a lot of trouble with swarming in his yard this year and over a third of the swarms were from there. There were several times when I would go to the bee yard and find as many as 3 or 4 clusters of Kevin's bees in the bushes.  We usually combine swarms caught within a 24 hour period to make a stronger colony and let the queens duke it out.  We have combined swarms to make up about 17 colonies.

If you want a blow by blow account, check out a feature on my web site called "The swarm watch". The last few swarms haven't made it onto the web page yet and may not. I'm too busy scrounging up swarm boxes and keeping up with the bee list.   My URL is http://www.hotcity.com/~mwr

Michael