From:
Cusick Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2014 06:28:39 -0400
<I have 4-5 full size pear trees next to the bee yard I have not noticed
them
feeding on fruit,  but in fairness they would be fighting chickens, possums
and squirrels.>

Pears are not likely to be a good place for insects to survive.  The grainy
texture is due to sclereids which are a defense mechanism against insect
predation; it's like diatomaceous earth for pears.  Also it's my experience
that chickens love small hive beetles.  I have fed them frames that were
slimed from deadouts.  They were very efficient at consuming all the larva
(and destroying the frames the rest of the way, but they were duragilt
anyway).

Jeremy
West Michigan