From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 01:13:25 -0400
John Francis wrote:

> I have three hives, that I plan to winter, when it becomes winter here in
> Kentucky (US). I want to put them in an old shed on my property. I know this
> has many advntages - any caveats . . . or are there any suggestions to
> maximize the benefits of doing this - At what temperature would you
> recommend doing this.

I cannot imagine any advantage of moving bees indoors anywhere in Kentucky, or
for that matter much farther north than that.  My grandfather used to move bees
indoors in the Green Bay area of Wisconsin, but gave that up as being far too
much work for little or no advantage.  Here in southeastern Michigan I have
never so much as wrapped my hives for the 21 years I have had bees, and unless
mites or some other disaster st\rikes they do just fine.  They basically need
protection from the wind, adequate ventilation and food, and a strong queen.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA