Date:
Thu, 3 May 2012 17:02:09 -0400
In a message dated 5/3/2012 2:46:20 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

We're  still hoping that those with access to research databases will
cough up  some references on the question.

Its been over 30 years since I ran across this.  I don't remember who  did
the work, and my University doesn't have any of the old bee journals - they
all got moved to Helena.  I took this observation at face value,  memory
loss would have messed up the work I was doing for EPA at the  time.

That said, our PERS work has shown that many chemicals induce memory  loss
in bees.  But, I wouldn't want to use them for this  purpose.  Screw up and
you've dead bees.  That actually could  be a benefit with respect to some
pesticides.  If the returning bees  can't convey where they were when they
contacted the chemical, they can't  communicate the dangerous location.

Keep in mind, many pesticides are neurotoxins, NOT just the neonics.   When
you affect the nervous system, you can get short term, transitory
too much kills bees.

Just the fumes from malathion will induce bees to sting.  Try a few  drops
on a cotton ball, see what happens.

You could always try alcohol - bees get drunk just like people, get a  real
buzz so to speak.  They also apparently sober up.  Too much  kills them.
Joking of course about using alcohol, not about the  effects.

Caffeine stimulates learning, but too much makes them jittery.

I've a Fulbright Scholar coming from India in mid-May.  Maybe I  can get
her to test some non-toxic chemicals, look at this issue.

Jerry

 Peter Borst has the best library access for old work that I  know.  Sorry