From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2017 08:42:17 -0600
A single is a challenge for swarm management and can be a real challenge during nectar droughts as they are prone to dwindle and starve even in the summer.  I intend to pull division board feeders at the start of the flow and insert 2 frames of foundation as a 'pressure relief' (against Seeley's recommendations).  Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations for this strategy?

Bill,  this "article" has been brought up a lot in the last few weeks on the TF beekeeping sites,  with many convoluting the concept.  Nice to see your thoughts.

My question is why?  what part of that Darwinian theory are you trying to mimic and why?

I am also switching back to singles for brood,  for honey production, so completely on board that in my area singles make more honey. Doubles winter better.  So we have been putting on a wintering super in sept and doing just fine. My singles are actually 8 frame singles in a 10 frame box as I never remove the feeder.  Some " pressure relief" as you put is done when we do spring splits.

Charles