From:
Olda Vancata <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 19:45:44 +0100
>...it looks to me as if you are saying that morphometrics is only
good for comparison and selection within a known population of honey
bees.  If so, by extension, I would see that as suggesting that the
technique is not well suited to identifying the race of unknown
samples of honey bees.

Oh yes, it does. It depends on which kind of morphometric method you
choose.

> Morphometry is no 'magic bullet' and should never be the final arbiter
> in decision making.

But pretty close. See abstract bellow.

Abstract from Eurbee 2006.

EUROPEAN BEES, THEIR MORPHOLOGY AND MICROSATELLITES
Frantisek Kaspar1, Tomas Kott2, Kvetoslav Cermak1, Dalibor Titera1
1Bee Research Institute at Dol, E-mail beedol©beedol.cz
2Research Institute of Animal Production, Prague - Uhríneves, E-mail
kott.tomas©vuzv.cz

The protection and use of bees´ gene pool in special programs, in
rearing and in beekeeping practice cannot omit the description of the
belonging to races. The description of gene types were afore based
only on pedigree records and phenotypical, morphometric analysis. The
new feature for the genotype description is the microsatellite
analysis.

DNA was isolated from  of worker bees conserved after the taking by
drying, freezing or by inserting into 75% ethanol. Isolation was
carried out on ABI 3100 Nuclei Acid Preparation Station using
NucPrep™ Chemistry method. The analysis was based on tests of 14
locuses assembled in four multiplexes [A29, Ap33, Ap36, Ap43],[Ap1,
Ap12, Ap55],[ A37, A7, A8],[Ap113, Ap16, Ap19, Ap34].  In this way
600 bees were analysed various geographical races [carnica,
mellifera, ligustica] from various regions. The applied method offers
data for very detailed discrimination of distances among populations.

The results were compared and completed by morphometric analysis of
wings using DAWINO method. The method of microsatellite analyzes is a
good tool for very detailed discrimination of distances among
populations.

http://www.beedol.cz/
http://www.beedol.cz/dawino/DAWINO_prosp_EN.pdf
http://www.beedol.cz/dawino/DAWINO_protocol_EN.pdf