From:
Robert Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 2016 10:05:46 -0500
Hi All

SHB were first found in Ontario in 2010 near Windsor/ Detroit and a
quarantine has been in place until recently.  Since then SHB have
crossed the St Claire, Niagara and St Lawrence rivers into Ontario,
but the affected hives have been destroyed until now.

While I am not so concerned about SHB in my hives as I understand that
strong colonies can be a large part of the solution, I am very
concerned about my extracting room and stored honey supers.

My operation is beside a river and as a result of the the higher
humidity, I stack my full honey supers in my extracting room with a
dehumidifier for 7 days.  Temperature 35-40C(95-105F), humidity 35-45%.

I do not filter or strain my extracted honey, but run it from the
extractor directly into my tank, wax and all, to settle for an
additional 7 days, then bottle directly from the tank.

I run a small operation but have a large loyal customer base for my
'RAW' honey and run out of honey before I run out of customers each
year.

Since many of you have dealt with SHB for several years, I am
soliciting your advice on how to change what I do prior to the
expected arrival of SHB in the next year or so.  Advice on honey super
storage with SHB would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W

PS: winter finally arrived with a little snow and cold(-11C(12F) day
-18C(0F) night)