Date:
Sat, 6 Jul 2013 17:09:26 -0600
>> Unfortunately this question reflects such a total misunderstanding
>> of beekeeping in Alberta and which beekeepers are operating on
>> treated fields and why...

> Interesting. How are pollination services different in Canada ?

OK.  I am at a real keyboard now...  I hope I'm not being trolled, but
here goes...

> It is a fairly simple thing to get who is pollinating Maine
> Blueberries each year, so what is different in Canada?

Not a problem, but that is not what we are talking about.  All Alberta
beekeepers are running bees on canola and if all seed is treated, which
has been suggested on this list, then all Alberta beekeepers are running
on treated canola. Note, I say, if.  I think this is substantially true.

> ..it is the latter who do all the pollination and get the full brunt
> of any bad practices of the grower during bloom.

That is where assuming gets one into trouble.  Alberta canola
pollinators are hired by the canola seed companies.  As such, since the
bees are so important, their interests are carefully respected.
Frankly, I don't know if the male and female variety seeds are actually
treated or not.  I would think they are, but I have never been treated
better than when  on pollination.  I had  2,500 hives there.

> If they have problems because of pollinating Canola, then there is
> no longer any issue and even seed treatment is a major issue. Canola
> has been commercially pollinated for a bit under ten years with Imid
> and other neonics present, so there should be some data to show
> harm.

The pollinators are working in a special environment, but AFAIK, all
Alberta beekeepers are running more or less equally on treated fields.
There are no controls in this continent-wide experiment.

Alberta canola seed pollination is very hard on bees compared to honey
production, but I would not attribute that to chemicals.  Trucking,
crowding, poor honey flows and close proximity to other operations are
more likely explanations.

Anyhow, there are no controls. Virtually all Alberta hives are in this
experiment.

Sorry.