From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 07:59:33 -0500
Hello Bob -

> If you go back and read my previous SMR posts you will see my SMR plans.

I am aware of what you have posted here about your plans for SMR. I have not
seen anywhere an indication that you will keep some of your SMR stock
completely off any chemical to see what the true survivor rate is. Exactly
how does one measure the "success" of SMR if they are still using chemicals?

> The list will be the first to get my opnion.

Opinion is fine, as I have an opinion on small cell, but that doesn't mean
it's fact until I can duplicate what the Lusby's are doing in with my bees.
Keeping bees without the use of drugs and chemicals is just that. For me to
verify that claim, I must not use the same. How are others using SMR going
to verify the claim of SMR?

> I always need queens Barry but I do not need the hassle of melting down comb
> a couple times and making my own foundation (4.9mm by hand)for a process
> which you say is only a third of the cure for solving the varroa problem.

I'm not interested in beating the 4.9 drum or comparing the two. I'm trying
to focus on SMR. I would like to know how successful the SMR is (this is
your latest varroa fighting method of choice). No hidden agenda. Just don't
come back to the list in a couple of years saying SMR is a success and by
the way, I'm still using Apistan or Coumaphos.

Regards,
Barry