From:
Sid Pullinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 07:16:51 GMT
> 2  Is there an advantage/disadvantage to making bottom boards with the
> opening in the long side (warm way) ?, as this is how the two logs I cut open
> with feral hives had their combs oriented.>>>>>
<<<<It may seem like a *dumb question*, but what do you folks mean by "Long
Way" - "Warm Way"?>>>>>
Warm way is when the combs are parallel to the entrance.  All the air
entering the hive must pass under the first comb.  This is not possible with
the Langstroth and Dadant as the appliance makers in their wisdom put the
entrance on the narrow side.  If you want warm way you must modify the
floorboard.  Here in England, as well as Langstroth and Dadant we have two
square hives in common use so the beekeeper can choose.
Cold way is when the combs are at right angles to the entrance.  The air
entering the hive can disperse more easily.  Wherever beekeepers gather the
argument arises -- which is the better way.  So far no one has come up with
a convincing reason for either.  A similar argument arises over ventilation
in winter.  Some shut the entrance down to a small gap, others  leave the
entrance wide open or cut a square foot hole in the floorboard.  Some insist
on top ventilation, others seal the top with insulating material.  Whatever
is done, most bees survive.  Sid P.
Sid Pullinger                    Email :  [log in to unmask]
36, Grange Rd                Compuserve:  [log in to unmask]
Alresford
Hants SO24 9HF
England