From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 16:54:40 -0500
>> Teleology is based on the proposition that the universe has design and
>>
> purpose. Teleology represents a basic argument for the existence of God, in
> that the order and efficiency of the natural world seem not to be
> accidental.  Teleologists oppose mechanistic interpretations of the universe
> that rely solely on organic development or natural causation. -- © Microsoft
> Encarta <

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
<http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna.html> - Cite This Source
<http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?qh=Teleology&ia=luna>
tel·e·ol·o·gy
<https://secure.reference.com/premium/login.html?rd=2&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.reference.com%2Fbrowse%2FTeleology>  /ˌtɛliˈɒlədʒi,
ˌtili-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled
Pronunciation[tel-ee-*ol*-/uh/-jee, tee-lee-] Pronunciation Key - Show
IPA Pronunciation –noun Philosophy.
1. 	the doctrine that final causes exist.

2. 	the study of the evidences of design or purpose in nature.

3. 	such design or purpose.

4. 	the belief that purpose and design are a part of or are apparent in
nature.

5. 	(in vitalist philosophy) the doctrine that phenomena are guided not
only by mechanical forces but that they also move toward certain goals
of self-realization.

What is interesting is the massive construction projects by both groups
in building even bigger straw men so they can knock them down. There is
a lot of one way or the highway with the other side pictured as a narrow
construct while they are broad and universal.

Both definitions show that. The Encarta definition  is narrow in its
interpretation of the Teleologists, while the Dictionary.com definition
allows them more room.

Also interesting is that Crist's comments read that way to me: that
Adrian's research was the result of his mindset and they then read his
mind and made that their argument. To me, that is more character
defamation than a valid scientific argument. It is a narrow construct
but a large straw man.

If you really look at Crist's statements, they can easily be turned
around and used to support the dance language arguments. There is design
in the dance language; a higher power made it a part of the great
design; and it is not just "mechanical forces". If you believed that,
would it throw into doubt the dance language hypothesis?

They err in the same way they say Adrian does, by making it into an
either or proposition: either the bee has intelligence or it does not
and neither do any other animals. Like the dictionary,com definition, it
can be both. A bee can be dumb as a log but still have a brain and
higher attributes. I know that fits some higher animals, like posters on
the BeeL.

For me, the only issue is does the dance impart information? I believe
it does, based on the fact that it is used by swarms to locate a new
home. Why dance if nectar or odor are the only issues? It is not an
either-or issue since bees can detect odor and can see the flowers, as
Jim pointed out, as well as use the dance. For me, that is a great
design, since all the faculties of the bee are put to use.

I do have an issue with calling movements of a bee "language". If I
point to an object, I am not using language but am imparting
information. So does a signpost. What causes the bee to impart
information? I have no idea, but I would never rule out brain hard
wiring, the same sort of thing we have for instinctual responses to
stimuli. It is actually a very simple dance. There is the sun, there is
the angle to the sun and this is how far. I can do the same by pointing
and holding my hands apart. Come to think of it, if I did that quickly
alternating both, I would probably be a candidate for Dancing with the
Stars, or at least be doing a passable 70's disco dance.

Bill Truesdell (The John Travolta of Maine... no, strike that)
Bath, Maine

* BEE-L is hosted at the State University on New York at Albany.                    *
* Help with data collection regarding Colony Collapse Disorder at www.beesurvey.com *