From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 07:40:32 -0500
Carol Palmer wrote:

>Very recently the moderator of this list recommended virus protection and a
>firewall. Are Zone Alarm and AVG really the best? Is the moderator in a
>position to know and authoritatively speak on this subject?

Just about every computer expert will agree that zone alarm (either free
version or pro) is the top or next to the top firewall. I use the free
version and it is excellent.

Anti-virus programs are another matter. I use Norton Anti Virus(combined
with Norton System Works for a great package).
I use to use MacAfee (many years ago), but it was terrible. Now some
reviews have MacAfee over Norton. It is interesting that trials of AV
programs will show that few are perfect. But that is against some
esoteric viruses. Most will kill the most prevalent bad guys. I would go
by ease of use, update frequency, and cost in that order.

AVG is fine, so are a bunch of others. So in the AV world, you will get
lots of opinion. I have always recommended Norton, because it
consistently ranks at the top of all the reviews I have ever read about
any AV programs ( and that is over the past seven years). Plus it has
the definitive website dealing with viruses. It comes with System Works,
so you get an exceptional package. And, if you wait (assuming you
already have a AV program installed and updated), it can be bought at
steep discounts.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine