Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2010 14:47:18 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
I would gladly offer myself as the world expert on Colony Collapse Disorder. I have a very modest speaking fee and am available evenings and weekends. However, this guy is good, too.

Quoting for review purposes:

Colony Collapse Disorder in context
Bioessays 32: 845–846,ß 2010
Geoffrey R. Williams 
[log in to unmask]

> Although, we agree that CCD is indeed a significant cause for concern, we believe that it is imperative to appropriately place CCD within the greater context of other honey bee morbidities occurring worldwide. In many cases, these morbidities can be explained by known parasites or beekeeper management issues. One example is the devastation caused by beekeepers’ inability to control V. destructor, which not only feeds on host haemolymph and weakens host immunity but also vectors a variety of viruses. In other cases, however, these morbidities are genuinely unexplainable, including those attributed to CCD sensu stricto.

> The point is, honey bees die from many things. We must be careful to not synonymize CCD with all honey bee losses. There is a growing consensus that colony mortality is the product of multiple factors, both known and unknown, acting singly or in combination. The first step in these efforts should be to objectively discriminate among types of colony mortality occurring worldwide. This will permit a more informed and appropriate allocation of research efforts into CCD specifically and other causes of mortality in general.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2