From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 10:55:37 -0400
Dee Lusby wrote, in part:
>constant inbreeding and closed populations that place bees into a
>holding pattern and narrow the genetics.This we have done heavily in
>past decades, and maybe in the future such heavy reliance upon
>inbreeding and closed populations should be changed, with more
>emphasis again put on good outbreeding practices. I consider this
>narrowing of genetics the past few decades a very fast way to stop
>honeybee evolution, when coupled with todays enlarged and
>artiŽcialized system that is also dependent upon feeding bees an
>artiŽcial diet.

The importation of honey bees into the US was introduced to prevent
the importation of diseases. Prior to that time, bees were imported
from almost all areas where honey bees are known: Italy, Egypt,
Georgia, Slovenia, etc. Since that time, the bees were homogenized to
a certain degree, but there has been a steady desire among many
researchers to import fresh stock. This was done several times:
Buckfast, Yugoslavian, and Russian stock has been imported. The idea
that the genetic base of the honey bee in the US overall is too
narrow, is unsubstantiated. Some individual breeders may have
deliberately or inadvertently inbred their stock.

The use of the term Evolution in connection with Breeding is a grave
error. Evolution, as properly understood, has no purpose and is a
mechanism that results in the weeding out of individuals unfit for a
particular niche. Breeding is purposeful human activity with little
or no parallel in nature. Feeding bees is not widely practiced as it
is not cost effective. Beekeepers generally opt for moving bees to
areas where ample nectar and pollen exist. There is nothing like the
feed lot methods of the cattle and poultry industry. When bees are
fed, pure sugar is normally used, which has never been shown to have
any ill effect, when supplemented by natural pollen.

Roy Nettlebeck also wrote:
>We need Honeybee genetics to be using the tools of 2002. That will
>help us move forward a lot faster. We will not come up with one bee
>for all areas and seasons. Each beekeeper will have to keep a close
>eye on what is going on in behavior of his or her bees. That takes
>time and dedication. We will need feedback to keep the progress
>going.

Dee's reply:
>You are so right we will not need to come up with one bee for all
>areas and seasons; and honeybee genetics/ methodology deŽnitely
>needs to be changed to keep up with changing times in our new 2000
>century now unfolding. We must all play a part if our industry is to
>survive worldwide. We need diversity of bees again, acclimitized to
>individual regions, and not just 2-3 main races to cover our planet.
>We need beekeepers to have bees that will Žt the needs of localized
>areas, that roll with the seasons and not by the calendar.

Roy seems to be pointing to Genetic Engineering when he says "the
tools of 2002". I doubt that the bee keeping public wants genetically
modified honey bees. I certainly know of no one who is working on
such a thing, although there are a lot of researchers engaged in
mapping the honey bee genes. I am not sure what Dee is referring to
at all. Does she agree with the idea that bees have to be gathered
from many sources and tested in a variety of field conditions? I was
under the impression that she was trying to develop a very specific
type of bee, one that makes small cells and is adapted to the harsh
climate of the Sonoran Desert. Her methods seem like a recipe for
inbreeding. I have never heard her mention importing any bees from
outside Arizona, but she often mentions gathering "wild bees" from
the hills. This is not significantly broadening the genetic base.

In the North, we need a bee that builds fast in the spring before
nectar and pollen are available, not too prone to swarming, and
capable of surviving an off season which can go from October to
nearly May. To which we need to add some form of mite resistance or
tolerance. It is possible to find honey bee varieties in various
parts of the world that have specific characteristics, but probably
the genetic material we require is already present in the US.
Excellent sources of Russian, Carniolan, and Italian types are
available. When Dee refers disparagingly to the "2 or 3 main races",
what other races would she have us use? "Scutellata"? "Capensis"?
Most of the other races are not suitable for modern beekeeping and
cannot be imported, in any case.

Mite resistant and hygienic stock is available. No bee exists at this
time which can rid itself of mites, once infested. No chemical or
compound exists that can completely rid the bees of mites, either. We
are in this for the long haul, there is no panacea, lets get back to
work.

pb

--

Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>