From:
Mike Rossander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2013 11:23:22 -0800
re: Anybody treat for TM any more?

That depends on whether you consider grease patties a "treatment".  Anecdotal evidence near me suggests that grease patties (or pollen patties using some grease as binder) are still common.

Of course, the fact that people are still treating is not necessarily evidence that the treaments are needed.  Again, all I have is anecdotal evidence but I'll share what I have.  I lost a colony to tracheal mites not that long ago.  Perhaps coincidence but it was the winter after I decided that my mostly-Russian bees should be resistant and that it was too much trouble to go back every time I forgot to take the patties out to the beeyard.  The bees paid for my laziness.  At least for me, TM is both still around and still a threat.  It is arguably less of a threat than in the years past but I don't know of any metrics that have established how much less nor any measures that attempted to determine how much of the change was in the bees vs in the mites.  It is possible that in aggregate we exerted selection-pressure on the mites to become less virulent rather than pressure on the bees to become more resistant.

Mike Rossander