From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 1996 09:05:58 -0800
On Fri, 29 Mar 1996, Aaron Morris wrote:

> Apologies in advance for going to the list before going to the books,
> but the list is here and my books are home, so here is my question.
>
> I seem to recall that there were problems with formic acid prompting
> queen rejection and/or supercedure if used in uncontrolled or high
> concentration, which is why it was not a favorable means of varroa
> control.

 Hi. I have seen some good posts on formic acid.Mostly negative and I
have learned a little more about the problems of its use with bees and
humans.The people that want the wait and see what the researchers come up
with are thinking.Chemicals and delivery are very critical.We don't need
another amatraz type problem. It was published as a good mite killer that
was safe for the bees if used as instructed. I'm very glad to see people
challange the chemical % and delivery system.For now we will have to use
some chemicals in the hives. When Vince said BRAVO for the USDA working
with USA stock that shows a resistance to Varroa, he was right.That is
the real fix. In the mean time we have to go slow on the chemicals.The
honeybee pheromone system is very complex.We do not have all the answers
in regards to the pheromones in the hive. Therefore we will not know for
shure what changes will be taking place do to the addition of a chemical
to a hive. Time and tests will give us an idea to what affect it has on a
hive.Just because Formic acid has been used in different places for some
time now , does-n't qualify it for use , when we read of some of the
problems that people have had with its use.When its blessed in the US a
few times by our researchers , I will then get some for back up. I hate
Varroa because if I don't put a chemical in my hives I will loose them to
that mite.I'm trying to learn more about some of the behavior changes we
have seen in our bees in the last 5 + years.Chemicals added to the hive
fogs the picture. Free H ions in an atmosphere of carbon dioxide and
organic acids , which are many , will have some bonding.Which pheromones
will be affected I don't know.The researchers up at SFU in BC Canada have
done a lot of work on Pheromones and may be able to shed some light on
the issue.
 Best Regards
 Roy