From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2016 09:06:36 -0500
excerpts from
The Fount of Wisdom By JOHN MAVIE
THE BEE WORLD April, 1926

Originality is the one thing which unoriginal minds cannot feel the use of. - J. S. MILL

Long ago I began to discard the idea that a purely formal
and legal interpretation of the Life of the Hive was possible
and I am growing to discard it in still greater degree.

If this is so it will make the keeping
of bees a vastly more difficult thing than a study of textbooks
and the lore our fathers have told us of what their
fathers did in the days of old.

If you would know the truth seek it from those who alone can
answer. The bees will tell you. Would you know whether
this or that is wise management? Go to no book and trust
no other authority. Can this be done or that? Try and do
it, and be answered by no other than the bees themselves.
Some of their answers will startle you, but in such a manner
you will acquire wisdom.