From:
Lillian Novela <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 1995 11:04:52 CDT
My husband and I acquired a bee hive this year and are enjoying them
tremedously, since they are an extremely easy-going colony (much friendlier
than the ones my parents had when I was a kid, which would follow us to the
ends of the earth after taking their honey.)  I was wondering the following:

1. Is a good temperament colony more in danger from intruders, than fiercer
   bees?  After watching them dump the drones out, I have seen alot of wasps
   carrying these dead or dying drones off, presumably to their nests.  This
   occurred after the first real cold spell.  Now I have seen some wasps
   hanging around with what appears to be robbing behavior.  They are yellow
   colored wasps that look rather similar to bees.

2. Does anyone have a good receipe for mead?  I tried some very tasty mead
   several years ago, but have lost track of the person that used to make the
   stuff.  It seems like a good by-product of keeping bees.

3. We now live in the far west suburbs of Chicago and would like to know if
   anyone has info on which is the local beekeepers club in this vicinity.

   Any and all info would be much appreciated.  Thanks,
                                                       Lillian Novela-Gilsdorf