From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 08:28:52 -0500
Date sent:              Thu, 19 Nov 1998 07:49:44 GMT
Send reply to:          Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology
From:                   Computer Software Solutions Ltd <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Acarine - acarapis woodi - tracheal mites
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> This is my second year with bees, and one of my apiaries - 3 hives - has
> been stricken with Acarine.

Lots of hives have Acarine or Tracheal mites. A lot depends on the
amount of mites per bee! There is always the economics to
consider when discussing medication.
        If there are only perhaps one or two mites per bee then it can
be ignored, the bees will still manage. It's only when the mite count
begins to affect the bees performance that one needs to worry.
        Ultimately replace the queen with one of known T-mite
resistance.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, Canada.
Phone (705)326 7171 Fax (705)325 3461
David Eyre, Owner
e-mail<[log in to unmask]>