From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2008 11:02:02 -0500
Hello Mike & All,
Without looking and taking a few samples I hate to venture a guess but
really have no choice.

1. I do not believe the mite away two is the problem.

I would look at other possible reasons for the die off. I think the die off
is simply happening at the same time as your treatment.

The only time mite way has killed brood ( my personal experience) has been
in temps over 90F and then a small amount only really noticed when looking
carefully.

Bill Rusika  in Canada has a huge amount of experience with formic acid and
has
traveled the world speaking on the subject. Bill has always said from our
first conversation that seeing a *small amount* of brood kill simply shows
the formic dose is correct.

The brood kill spoke of by beekeepers with formic is related to eggs and
larva (from my experience) and only happens *in my opinion* when temps are
over 90F. *and* in the first 7 days of treatment. I have *never* seen brood
damage in the last 14 days even if temps climb above 90F.

Both Randy O. and myself report  similar brood kill with the 50 ml, apigard
dose in the first few days of treatment in hot weather. The kill (my
opinion) does not happen with the 25ml dose.

David Vanderdusen as well as Bill R. ( mite gone pads) and I have been
friends and on a first name basis for many years. David V. , Bill R. might
comment or
 Medhat N. as all monitor BEE- and have better knowledge than myself on use
of formic.

Unlike some of my fellow commercial beeks I only use mite away 2 & and
apigard. I rotate use and this fall  I am using apigard at the rate of three
25ml doses at 7 day intervals. The maker said the label would be changed to
three 25 ml. doses but the label is still the same. Three doses is more work
but legal and save money if doing a large number of hives. Less brood kill
at high temps and *in my opinion* better efficacy.

Both Randy Oliver ( ABJ article) and myself ( BEE-L) recommended the three
doses *based* on our testing.

The apigard maker representative said on BEE-L last year the change would
happen. Max why no change? Also why are you still using those phony little
plastic scoops which are not accurate? Max monitors BEE-L.

 I use mite away 2 in spring.  Our Missouri hot weather at fall treatment
time is why I *usually* use apigard most of the time in fall but i did use
the formic
product in fall a few years ago with success.

I think both products work when applied correctly *and* before varroa loads
climb over threshold. Neither has the killing power (my opinion) that
apistan & checkmite had when first released.  Knowing what I know now I
would nicer use those products again. Their use cost dearly in time and
money changing all my comb.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison