From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2013 09:05:58 -0400
Dear Mark, and all:

First, accept my apologies if you think I am berating people.  I never said anyone was ignorant...just uninformed.  I thought I was part of a civil discussion.  In this case, I was trying to clarify a muddy issue.  And it is clear that many are suffering from a lack of understanding about "receptors".   I learn a lot from this list.  I doubt anyone here has all the answers, or is an expert on everything.  My training is neurophysiology.  I do know a lot about that (although many are better neurophysiologists than I am), and on this topic, I can contribute.  I will tell people that they are wrong, if they are wrong, and I won't mince words about that!  What for?  I appreciate being corrected when I'm wrong....it's not an offense to become educated!

Mark, there are many receptors as you say that initiate second messenger cascades.

But others are receptors that open ion channels and cause membrane potentials to change.  That is the group to which ACh receptors belong.  They just open gates and let ions into or out of cells.  That's all they do and all of them do it.

So, you are right about some forms of second messenger, Randy and Pete are right that receptor affinities differ, Bill is right that enough of any one of them will produce "death" as a "response", and the textbooks are right that different receptors have different responses.

OK everyone?  Can we all be happy and get along now?

Christina