From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 2009 08:13:55 -0500
Greetings

It appears that Bob and I are having a disagreement when in fact, this is not the case. The problem is the mixing up of genetics and behavior. I was trying to discuss how the gene flow of African bees is one directional. I have not raised the issue of behavior at all. There are plenty of reports of AHB being capable of selection for manageability. No one disputes that African bees can be used commercially or that they have desirable qualities. I have repeatedly posted writings by Allsopp where he suggests that the future of beekeeping may reside in the feral African gene pool. Dave de Jong has made similar statements.

However, Dr. Guzman, who is from Mexico and has worked with African bees, tells me that these bees are not suitable for professional beekeeping and that given a choice, we will prefer the European types. Obviously, if one has to keep African bees or no bees at all, many would accept the changes in management that would be required. Again, the point that I was trying to make is that there are a lot of very different behaviors in the various types of bees. My conversation was never centered on aggression, although that is certainly part of the whole picture.

The problem I see is that Bob and others are mixing up behavior with genetics. The genetic makeup of a bee or any organism only predisposes that organism to be a certain way; it does not dictate. (What about Einstein's kids? It isn't enough to have great genes to be a genius ... ) On the one hand, you can have vicious European bees. That doesn't mean they are "genetically mean bees". By the same token, you may have many colonies of African bees that seem perfectly manageable. That doesn't mean that given different conditions, they won't turn ugly. I have seen the most docile bees turn ugly under certain circumstances.

I have never dismissed the stories of various beekeepers I have heard. Experience is always the best teacher. However, Lloyd is right in saying that the people who know the most about the genetic component are the ones who have the tools to test for this part. I don't say African bees are bad, why should I? If they have traits that are better, such as hygiene, who wouldn't want that? If they are edgy and difficult to handle, that wouldn't scare me off. It might change my decision on where to put them, such as not in the front yard of my house, but maybe back in the woods somewhere.

Pete