From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 07:56:43 -0700
> In your critique for Sci. agric., you made the statement that in Germany,
> tracheal mites are beginning to invade brood cells:
>
> > (If this is truly the case, then we had
> >better watch out because the +Tracheal Mites+ in Germany now seek out
> >sealed brood, and not predominently 1 to 4 day old bees as they do
> >here).

> >Do you have a reference for this remarkable observation? I am trying to
> >find all I can regarding mites of honey bees and missed this point.

Oh, oh!  I am going to have to quit trying to be witty -- or plaster my
posts with smilies and <g>'s. <G>

I *did* quote the source -- the Nassenheider Evaporator literature, and
I'll quote the entire passage from my post again here:

 "Of course, I am not sure about how many of the Nassenheider claims to
 believe, since, for one thing, the literature that comes with my
 Nassenheider Evaporator claims (quoting here) "an ACARICIDE (emphasis
 added) effect of  appr. 90% was achieved in sealed brood cells".  (If
 this is truly the  case, then we had better watch out because the
 +Tracheal Mites+ in  Germany now seek out sealed brood, and not
 predominently 1 to 4 day old  bees as they do here). (<attempt at irony)

 Anyhow, all funning aside, (indication that I was kidding around) we can
 use pads spring or fall, save tons of money and fussing, and still get a
 good honey crop, something that slow release methods cannot guarantee
 when they are used in spring."

Of course I do not believe that tracheal mites are beginning to invade
brood cells, in Germany or elsewhere. And I don't believe the Nassenheider
Evaporator literature, necessarily.

I was using the quote to show how uncritical either the translator or
original writer of the literature for the Nassenheider Evaporator had
been, and to draw into question the accuracy and rigour of the statements
made about it.

To further clarify: in my understanding, the word 'acaricide' relates only
to Acarine disease, which is the effects of tracheal mites.  Perhaps this
point is too subtle, and I really shouldn't nit-pick, and try to have fun
at another writer's expense -- even if that writer is producing technical
literature for a disease control device "of which 50,000 have been sold in
Germany alone".

I think I'd better send this clarification to the list, since, if you
missed my weak attempt at irony, others will have too.

Sorry everyone; I keep trying to improve the clarity of my writing, but I
guess I have a ways to go.

Allen Dick                                  VE6CFK
Rural Route One, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
     [log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
       http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/