From:
Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 11:09:18 +1300
The reference to the introduction of bumble bees into Australia does seem,
to me, likely to have been a confusion with the New Zealand introduction of
bumbles.  After all, we're only 1,500 miles apart - neighbours on a worldly
scale, though we won't often admit it to each other (heh, heh).

Red clover was planted in the South Island in the 1880s and there was
inadequate pollination, generally thought to be because the 'throat' of the
red clover flower is longer than white clover's, meaning that honey bees
would not find the crop so attractive.

Four species of bumbles were introduced at that time, by the
'acclimatisation societies' (I think they were called...), and all still
survive, I believe - Dr Barry Donovan who may read this list could provide
authoritative information...