From:
Dick Marron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Dec 2009 15:48:34 -0500
Randy wrote:

> [...]
discussion on the List maybe two years back, in which members calculated the
amount of water liberated in the consumption of honey.  If you can search it
out in the archives, would you please post?<<<<

I interpret the paper to say:
Cluster  temperature is adjusted when individual bees react to cold by
heating themselves and  moving toward heat and vice versa. (Moving to cooler
climes and remaining cool when sensing heat.) Individual thorax temperature
determines the limits.

This knocks out my idea that there was a big bee with a drum (ala galley
master) that beat faster for more heat. Still, not much about water. I
understand that the  normal broodless temperature of mid 80s is raised to
90+ in order to raise brood. I don't remember the source. Could the
temperature raise create water by condensation?

Dick Marron