From:
Rebekah Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 2017 12:12:05 -0500
I followed with interest the topic of single deeps as it appeared across several unrelated postings. I've been trying to sort out just what it means to keep bees in single deeps and have arrived here;

1. The brood chamber is usually a single deep.

2. A QE is always over the brood chamber.

3. Shallows or mediums are rotated on/off during the flow; newest immediately over the deep.

4. Over wintering: nothing searchable in the archive. But it sounds like the deep with stores left overhead is sufficient. I'm not too concerned about the winter part, as I've learned an insulated, single Palmer with candy board and quilt box does just fine. (Nervous Nellie I was that winter)

5. It sounds like those of you regularly using single deeps and using some version of Walt Wrights discussion on the topic in Bee Culture.

http://beesource.com/point-of-view/walt-wright/

Please do comment on your practice, Wright's approach and my thoughts. I'm just a hobbyist with currently 6 hives, consolidated from 9 over the summer.

Thanks, Rebekah
Pacific Northwest