From:
Kelley Rosenlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 12:19:58 -0500
At 09:36 AM 11/13/93 +0000, Capt Ken Black wrote:
>Has anyone got plans for manufacturing a 30 queen incubator I have a few
>ideas. I am looking for a thermostat at the moment and have been considering
>reptile breeding tanks etc.

Hey there,
        Go to your local feed and seed store and ask for a replacement
themostat for a chicken egg incubator. It is an expandable hollow cylinder
filled with alchohol(sp) that as it expands it engages a switch.

        I hope to make one this winter for my spring splitting. I was
thinking of using an ice box for the housing with a metal plate laying on
the bottom. This plate would have several 5-10 watt resistors attached for
the heating element. It would be a 12 volt setup so I could plug it into the
truck cigarette lighter while apiary bound. I like queen cell protectors so
near the top of the of the cooler would be an aluminum or plastic plate with
holes drilled in it so the protectors would just fit. Threaded rods would
connect the top & bottom. No modifications are made to the ice box (except
possibly for the power cord) so the ice box could be used for those hot
Florida summers!

        By the way. They now make ice boxes/heaters that plug into your
cigarette which could be modified for this. They cost $40 to 60 though.

        Good luck......

God Bless,
Kelley Rosenlund  [log in to unmask]
Gainesville, Florida, U.S.A., Phone:352-378-7510
200 hives, almost 2 years in beekeeping. 8 frame deeps,shallows.