From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 09:09:26 -0600
Hello Randy, Kirk & All,
I use oxalic( OA)  and report similar varroa drops but so far have used only
in the broodless period.

I would as Randy says use with brood (on a strong hive) if varroa load
needed dropped in a hurry but years ago on bee lists quite a bit of
discussion has been posted based on beekeeper testing. Mainly the other list
as BEE-L back then was reluctant to post a method not approved in the U.S. .
OA is still not an approved treatment for varroa in the U.S.

My point is the the way OA kills varroa and *effects* the bees is not
*fully* understood. Long term effect on the bees with repeated OA treatments
is the unknown area it seems.

If you search old posts you will find posts which say to not use OA on small
clusters and use repeatedly on bees based on bee kill.Even some posts saying
repeated OA use in the broodless period might be problematic.  I realize
Randy has said his testing found not a problem and I have never done testing
on hives with brood like he has. I believe Randy's testing but also point
out other respected beekeepers have tested and posted different advice.

I only post as many beekeepers have posted on bee lists that serious bee
loss will happen when OA is used repeatedly on bees with brood.

QA was first used with a method to burn the OA. Touted as the best method
and the tools were sold for years in bee mags and on the net. Those users
said far more effective than drenching. Now little talk of using the vapor
method.

Are there still beeks using the vapor method?

Germany was one of the first areas of the world to promote OA use.

Marion Ellis ( University of Nebr.) & Medhat N. have done research on OA but
not with the burning method. to my knowledge. Why not?

Maybe lurkers will share their experiences with OA as mine only is a once a
year drench.

bob