From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2008 21:34:23 -0500
I am wondering what effect
> the treatment will have on the stores in the fumigated combs.

As long as the stores are for the bees I see no problem. I plan to stack the
deeps five high an place 150 mm of glacial acetic acid 60-80% on top. When
evaporated the treatment is done. You can do outside as also repels moths
etc. Make the stack air tight.  Kills all nosema spores. Our  method works
as well as shiminuki's method with less effort however you need to wait for
all the acetic acid to evaporate rather than  set a so many day time limit
as in the Shiminuki method. In fall the acetic acid evaporates at different
rates in cold climates which is true of all chemicals which kill by fumes.
In warm temperatures our method might be faster than "Shims".
120 degree F. temp for 24 hours will kill the nosema spores also (
USDA-ARS). Some beeks with a honey house hot room which can hold a exact
temp and use plastic foundation have found this method worth doing however
with wired comb you can end up with a mess. One beekeeper reports a decent
spore kill with a 8 hour treatment. He said he does not understand the
reason behind needing 24 hours. He said once the comb has reached the 120 F.
the spores are dead.
What do the list say about  his hypothesis?
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison