From:
Cam Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:06:01 -0400
>the reception was enthusiastic.  I wish I had turned the camera around to document the size of the audience....there were 200+ in the room.  I expect most if not all of the members of the board were also enthusiastic.

IMO there are 2 reasons why the audience was so enthusiastic.

1. An oral presentation usually takes some time to digest and analyze. A lot of ideas and facts presented very quickly.

2. The reputation of Ken and Dick. Which is problematic. I'm sure there are many in the club who will discount all criticism and take to heart the presentation because of that reputation. It would be very difficult for a new beekeeper to be critical of this study- and by implication Ken and Dick - in the club. As Dean pointed out, it's difficult for him and he's an experienced beekeeper with his own reputation. That's not to say that people shouldn't be involved in research, it's just they need to be more circumspect in the papers they put their name to. I know there are many beekeepers in Worcester County that now believe that neonics cause CCD.