From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 11:07:58 -0600
I figured it was just a matter of time until we heard from you on
this.<G>

I remember reading 'The Bee Language Controversy' many years ago.  In
fact I think I have a copy.  I've always found the debate
fascinating, although I don't feel well enough informed to take a
side.

I suppose, though that it is pretty important to use commercial guys
to understand how bees find crops.

It is certainly beneficial to challenge the dance theory and you do
a very good job.  Many people have a lot invested in believing the
dance hypothesis. Being a sceptic, myself, I find it an interesting
theory that adds to the mystery of bees.

here's my question:

I wonder - just out of curiosity - what, in your thinking, is the
explanation of the dancing that is readily observed, and what (if
anything) is its function?

And another:

What are the implications in practice?  I can see that if there is
no dance language, that we should likey pay a lot more attention to
making sure the bees can easily find the crop.  Am I right?