From:
Cesar Flores <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 18:08:03 -0700
I really like this method and use it regularly:

> -How do you place a whole frame horizontally in the
> hive. I assume this
> requires some sort of extra gadget..?

4 stones about 2 cm in diameter. Or better, cut slots
into the empty box that will suspend the frame
horizontally over the frames in the box below.

> -Do you have to place the frame in the middle of the
> hive (between brood
> boxes and supers), or will this work just as well in
> the top part of the
> hive?

On top, above the top brood box, over the frames. This
frame is placed horizontally in an empty box with a
roof above. The frames just below should have pollen.

> -What happens with the upper part of the horizontal
> frame? Do the bees
> remove the larva there?

No, don't worry about it. You are interested in the
queen cells.

> -Don't you get a lot of burr comb around the cells?

No.

> -Why do you remove the cells right after they're
> capped and not the day
> before they hatch?

Don't let one hatch and kill the others.

> -When you remove a frame with this many cells, of
> course it takes a while to
> cut them all out and go around and place them in all
> those colonies. How do
> you store the cut out cells during this time to make
> sure there is no
> temperature och motion related damage to them?

Cut one out and lay the frame back on the hive where
it was, drape with a cloth, install it, then come back
and repeat. Be careful, use your pocket knife heated
with your cigarette lighter to cut out the queencells.

> -When the bees build comb on a queen cell, is the
> cell still OK if i cut
> away the unwanted wax?

Just cut around the queen cell.

It works great, is an easy way to get a bunch of good
cells without any grafting or special equipment. Look
for beekeeping techniques like this that are LOW COST,
LOW WORKLOAD, HIGH CONFIDENCE, HIGH RESULTS.