From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 2015 01:39:51 -0000
> I wonder if it boils down to varietal differences.
Rapeseed was tough to work with; (extremely quick to granulate (became
like rock), strong favoured with the aroma of cabbage and the bees were
crabby as hell when working it, BUT IT PRODUCED

The Central Association conference next weekend has:
"Dr Alison Haughton Nutritional resources provided by varieties of oilseed
rape"
which may provide some answers.

The cabbage aroma disappeared from rape honey some years ago (although the
fields stink of it when it is cut) and I wonder whether this was when crops
started to diminish.  Perhaps both due to new varieties.

It does granulate very quickly and to an exceptionally fine grain which is
great for producing set honey (although the market for that has gone down
hugely (at one time we sold 50:50 clear to set; now at least 75% clear -
possibly due to cookery programmes on the TV using clear honey).

I think that other honeys, e.g. field beans, set much harder - like glass -
but it is certainly better not to let it set in the comb (says he after
scraping down over 5000lbs of granulated honey this year!).

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W