From:
"<H. Sweet>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 00:08:37 -0500

>I have been beekeeping for several years and recently had a bad attack of
>wax moths on my hives.  So I have one question: how do I get rid of the
>moths?  They have wiped out one of my hives and I fear they will take on
>the other soon.  Is it a lost cause?  Should I just start over with new
>bee swarms in the spring?  Want the moths attack this new colony also?
>
>Need help in El Paso, Texas
>
>Tim Channell

Greetings BEE-L people!

As far as I'm aware a strong colony will keep moths at bay. I would
also recommend covering all vent holes with window screen and
closing down the entrance to about 10 cm. I stack my stored
equipment and cover it with a top board in my garage. One pack
of para di chlorobenzene (moth balls) at the bottom and one at
the top. My major problem with moths is in the comb supers with
the basswood boxes and in the Ross Rounds. Too many nooks
& crannies for those moths to find shelter. I'm switching to
5 11/16" supers for comb honey next year.

Look for webs, small white clusters of moth eggs ( they almost
look like mold ) and burrows in wooden parts. Trash all questionable
honey. They actually favor brood comb but are found in areas less
protected by bees. Freezing kills them. Check your hives for mites,
foulbrood, queenlessness etc. According to "ABC's" they prefer
dark comb.

They're worse than ants - almost.

regards,
Harry Sweet