From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2008 20:55:37 -0500
Hello All,
We spoke this week with a bee hauler (coming to Missouri next week to haul
bees from Missouri to almonds) and he said all the loads he has hauled to
almonds from the Dakota's have been crappy bees (his words). I respect his
opinion as we have been friends for a long time.

The Missouri bees were checked yesterday and look better than they have in
years (personal phone conversation). I was supposed to be home today but
was forced off the road for the night due to high winds and blizzard
conditions.

I spoke with Australia last night until the call was dropped. Australia
said they are over booked on package orders and have had to turn many
orders away (still contact suppliers if you need packages in case of
changes). Australia said reports of hives in poor condition in California
started about two weeks ago.

For commercial beekeepers reading which have tried to get Australian
packages and have not been able I will try and explain.

Australia has the bees and queens but the airline which hauls the
shipments (United) has declined to haul bees on their airplanes which have
not had a certain fire upgrade. United says when Boeing provides the
upgrades all their planes will be able to haul bees. United said all
planes will be completed by June. United is trying to schedule planes
which have allready had the upgrade between Sidney and the U.S..

The Australian package industry is sorry for the problem but thinks the
problem will be solved for next year. United has tried to get out of
flying bees but the higher ups at United understand the current problems
the U.S. beekeeping industry is facing.

In order to help a Montana beekeeper keep his pollination accounts bulk
bees with pheromones ( a first to U.S.)were shipped this week. It will be
a week before we know if the shipment arrived alright.

All of the above bee problems could be considered normal but I am getting
a bit concerned. All out of state bees should be in California the first
week of February and graded shortly after. We should have a good idea of
the state of the commercial migratory industry by middle February.

What news from almonds has others heard? Randy? Keith?

bob

PS. Randy, Medhat & others. I can receive email on the road but not able
to send. Will get the problem solved when I get home and reply  to your
emails.