From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2013 12:17:47 -0500
Scientists tend to assume that the "Organic Farming" movement co-opted the term, which rightfully belongs to "Organic Chemistry" or the chemistry of carbon molecules. Nothing could be further from the truth. It was first used to differentiate between living and inert substances.

Oxford English Dictionary:

> Originally: relating to or designating compounds which exist naturally as constituents of living organisms or are formed from such substances (all of which contain carbon and hydrogen).

> Later: of, relating to, or designating any compounds of carbon (other than certain simple compounds such as oxides, carbides, carbonates, etc.), whether of biological or non-biological origin.

Examples
1835   R. D. Hoblyn "A dictionary of terms used in medicine and the collateral sciences"
> Organic molecules, a term applied by Spallanzani to certain floating bodies supposed to exist in the male semen, and which he regarded as primordial monads of peculiar activity.

1894   C. Schorlemmer "The Rise and Development of Organic Chemistry"
>  We define, therefore, that part of our science which is commonly called organic chemistry as the Chemistry of the Hydrocarbons and their derivatives.

* * *

The principle of using products derived from living organisms (rather than refined chemicals) in gardening is sound, but is moderated with the knowledge that organisms require other materials such as minerals to thrive and therefore many naturally occurring non-organic substances are included in "Organic Farming" practices.

It should be noted, as well, that many people have further co-opted the term "Organic Food Production" to refer to their own prejudices, hence the attempt to develop useful standards by government agencies in the US and Europe. This sort of factionalism has thoroughly clouded the meaning of organic farming and made it difficult for the consumer to make informed choices.

§ 205.2   Terms defined.  "Electronic Code of Federal Regulations"  (December 2012) www.ecfr.gov

> Organic matter. The remains, residues, or waste products of any organism.

> Organic. A labeling term that refers to an agricultural product produced in accordance with the Act and the regulations in this part.

> Organic system plan. A plan of management of an organic production or handling operation that has been agreed to by the producer or handler and the certifying agent and that includes written plans concerning all aspects of agricultural production or handling described in the Act and the regulations in subpart C of this part.

> Prohibited substance. A substance the use of which in any aspect of organic production or handling is prohibited or not provided for in the Act or the regulations of this part.

§ 205.603   Synthetic substances allowed for use in organic livestock production.
In accordance with restrictions specified in this section the following synthetic substances may be used in organic livestock production:

(a) As disinfectants, sanitizer, and medical treatments as applicable.

(1) Alcohols.

(4) Biologics—Vaccines.

(7) Chlorine materials—disinfecting and sanitizing facilities and equipment. Residual chlorine levels in the water shall not exceed the maximum residual disinfectant limit under the Safe Drinking Water Act.

(11) Glucose.

(12) Glycerine—Allowed as a livestock teat dip, must be produced through the hydrolysis of fats or oils.

(13) Hydrogen peroxide.

(14) Iodine.

(17) Oxytocin—use in postparturition therapeutic applications.

(18) Parasiticides. Prohibited in slaughter stock, allowed in emergency treatment for dairy and breeder stock when organic system plan-approved preventive management does not prevent infestation.

(19) Peroxyacetic/peracetic acid (CAS #-79-21-0)—for sanitizing facility and processing equipment.

(20) Phosphoric acid—allowed as an equipment cleaner

(b) As topical treatment, external parasiticide or local anesthetic as applicable.

(1) Copper sulfate.

(2) Formic acid (CAS # 64-18-6)—for use as a pesticide solely within honeybee hives.

(3) Iodine.

etc